Apple and Rhubarb Crumble (GF)
Crumbles (or Crisps as they’re known by in the U.S.) are definitely in my top-3-personal-favourite-kinds-of-dessert….. what a mouthful!
… like this dessert. OH SNAP. Anyway! Warming, fruity and not too sweet, this Crumble is just too easy not to make! She’s vegan of course, and gluten-free too, so everyone can enjoy.
1 bunch of rhubarb, around 5 stalks (leaves removed and diced)
8 large Pink Lady or Granny Smith Apples (skinned and diced)
1/2 cup orange juice
Rind of 1 orange
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup almond slivers
1 cup almond meal
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp vegan butter
1. Preheat oven to 170ºC.
2. Add apples, rhubarb, orange juice, orange rind, cinnamon, sugar and 1/4 tsp salt to a large non-stick pot and cook on medium heat, stirring occaisionally until the apples are soft and mixture turns pink. About 15 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, add almond slivers, almond meal, salt, coconut sugar and vegan butter and use your fingers to lightly pinch and rub the mixture together. The mixture should be loose so that you can sprinkle it.
4. Once your rhubarb mix is soft, transfer all of the mixture into a baking tray and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the almond crumble evenly across the top.
5. Bake for around 13-17 minutes, or until the top turns a nice golden-brown. I like to check every 5 minutes after the 7 minute mark.
6. Enjoy with coconut ice cream or coconut yogurt!