Gingerbread People (GF)
1 + 1/3 cups Bob's Red Mill all purpose baking flour
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tsp salt
125g vegan butter, softened (I use Nuttelex Buttery)
2 tbsp chia seeds
7 tbsp water
1.5 tbsp date syrup
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
Icing Sugar (optional)
1. In a small bowl, mix the chia and water and let sit for 5-10 minutes to create a chia gel.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill flour with the remainder of the dry ingredients.
3. Add date syrup and vegan butter to the Bowl of chia gel and mix with a spoon until well combined. It won't look very glamorous, but that's ay-okay! You should see the date syrup cling to the outside of the chia seeds.
4. Add the wet mix into the dry and fold the dough together as much as you can with a spatula.
5. Add the final 1/3 of the flour and using your hands, lightly knead the dough until it can stay together as a ball and doesn't stick to the bowl. Dough should cleanly come off your hands when you poke the dough (wash and dry your hands and give it a poke).
6. Cling-wrap the doughball and refrigerate dough overnight.
7. The next day, preheat the oven to 180ºC
8. If you're planning on making shapes, lightly flour a clean surface and a rolling pin, and roll the dough into a 0.5cm thick layer. Press your cookie cutter into the dough, cutting as many shapes as you can. Peel off the outside layer of the shapes, leaving the shaped cookies. Using a clean knife, lift up all the limbs of the gingerbread person before lifting him/her clean off, and transfer to baking tray.
9. Bake for 10 minutes.
10. Transfer to cooling rack and let your people cool completely.
11. Sift icing sugar over the cookies if you fancy!