Korean Rice Cake Soup (Tteokguk 떡국)
This is a recipe originally by the wonderful @thekoreanvegan Joanne Molinaro (née Lee). You can find the original steps for this recipe here on TKV episode 17! She makes the best korean vegan food on the reg, and you can find more of her delicious recipes on her website! I have merely written the recipe down and taken a few extra measurements to make it easier to follow at home.
Tteokguk is traditionally eaten at New Year or Korean Lunar New Year because it’s believed that eating it will bring you good luck for the year!
1/2 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 small red onion, diced
1.5 cups mushrooms (110g)
3 tsp garlic (freshly minced)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 potato, peeled and diced (150g)
1/2 cup broccoli stems, diced (50g)
1 cup broccoli florets (70g)
1 tbsp doenjang (Korean Fermented Soybean Paste) or Miso
3 cups vegetable stock/broth
7 small pieces dried dashima kelp (5g)
1/3 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (10g)
500g sliced tteok rice cakes (tteokgukyong-tteok) for soup
Spring Onions, to serve
1. Heat oils up in a large soup pot over medium low heat.
2. Add onions, mushroom and garlic and sautée until softened.
3. Add salt and pepper and stir to release some moisture.
4. Add potato, broccoli stems, doenjang, veggie stock, dashima and shiitake and stir.
5. Add rice cakes and stir.
6. Turn the heat down to simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent rice cakes from sticking. The soup will start to thicken!
7. Add the broccoli and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Enjoy! Serve with kimchi!