Korean Spicy Rice Cakes (Tteokbokki 떡볶이)
This is the most basic version of the classic Korean Streetfood: Tteokbokki!
These little rice cakes are chewy, sweet, spicy and the perfect snack.
I learnt how to cook this from @earthlingsasha’s mum, Sue - it’s her FAVOURITE food! So she’s the brains behind this one!
I want to thank both Sasha and Sue for introducing me to the world of cooking Korean food!!
makes 4 snack servings
2-3 leaves Wombok Cabbage, chopped (120g)
1.5 cups Vegetable Stock/Broth
1 packet Korean ‘Tteok’ Rice Cakes, fresh (thaw if frozen)
Spring Onions, sliced into 2 inch sticks
2 tbsp Gochujang (Korean Red Pepper Paste)
1 tbsp Gochugaru (Korean Red Pepper Flakes)
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1. Mix all the Paste Ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable stock on medium heat.
3. Add the spicy paste and stir to dissolve.
4. Add the cabbage and cook until soft.
5. Add the rice cakes, stir to cover in the sauce and simmer on low heat until sauce thickens.
6. Finally, stir in the spring onions and stir until they soften