Korean Sweet Brown Sugar Pancakes: Hotteok 호떡
makes 8 pancakes
1 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
2 cups flour
Oil, for frying
Extra flour, for rolling
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp walnuts, crushed
1 tbsp peanuts, crushed
1 tbsp toasted sesame
1. Mix the water, sugar, yeast, salt and oil in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the flour and mix very well until a very very sticky dough forms. Cover and put in a warm place to rise for one hour.
3. After an hour, stir to deflate your dough. Cover and let rise again for 10 minutes.
4. Stir lightly to deflate the dough again. Flour your bench VERY generously and empty out all the dough onto your bench.
5. Flour your hands and lightly turn the dough so it’s all covered and the dough isn’t sticky to touch.
6. Use a pinching action to divide the dough into half, then into 4, and then finally into a total of 8 even sized balls, don’t forget to flour your fingers and the balls in between separating the dough.
7. To make the filling, mix all the filling ingredients together in a small bowl.
8. To fill, slightly flatten a piece of dough and spoon a little bit of the mixture into the centre.
9. Fold the opposite edges of the dough together until it forms a small bun shape, with the filling enclosed in the centre. Take your time to pinch the top so that there are no gaps for the filling to fall out. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
10. To cook, heat some oil in a non-stick fry pan. Fry the balls, seam side UP until the base is golden brown (a few minutes). Flip and flatten with a spatula. Cook for a few minutes until both sides are golden brown and then move onto some paper towel.
11. Eat while hot!